Posted to alt.home.repair
Joey

Default Gas oven starts with BOOM!!!

tomkanpa wrote:
Thank you Joey and John for a suggestion of what to try before calling
a service man.

And JoeSpareBedroom, you can kiss my Irish red ass!!! You too,
cheesiepoofs�!

I asked for advice on what to try to fix it myself. I wasn't looking
for criticism.

Tomkanpa,

Since you've received another posting offering no help, I thought I
would expand on the suggestion that John and I gave you.

This problem is common to any gas oven and gas grills.

Over time the burners ports clog up not allowing any gas to come out.
Sometimes you can look at the burners when they are working and you'll
see areas that are not burning. That's because the ports are clogged.
Cleaning the ports is something a homeowner can do themselves and is
considered 'preventive maintenance' so....no need to rush out and hire
someone. All this is assuming that the burners are still in good
condition....no rust throughs.

They actually make burner cleaners that are inserted into each port to
clean them out. I also like to lighly brush with a brass brush the
outside of the burners also. Soaking the burners in a cleaning solution
might also help, but it's important they be absolutely dry before
reinstalling them. It's time consuming, but each one of those many
ports needs to be cleaned, especially the ones near the ignitor point.
You should see a drastic improvement not only in lighting fast, but a
better distribution of the heat once cleaned. So, check out your family
style hardware store for the burner port cleaners which is better, but
using a wire just smaller than the port diameter is better than nothing.

Good luck and don't forget your outside gas grill might also need this
cleaning !

Joey