Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Fred Holder

Default Tagua Nut Advice Sought

Hello George,

Welcome to the world of woodturning. You don't say what form of CA glue you are
using. The super thin stuff will not generally hold a tagua nut or two pieces of
anything together very well. It fills cracks very well, but I've always had
problems trying to glue two pieces together with the thin glue. The medium CA
glue is the proper stuff to use. It takes a bit longer to set, but generally
holds well. Coat both surfaces with the glue by rubbing them together. Separate
them and spray one side with fixative. Then quickly but them back together and
hold in place for one minute. Allow a couple of more minutes for it to set up
properly and you are ready to turn.

Fred Holder
http://www.fholder.com

In article , george says...

Hi,

I am not quite even a novice turner. I've bought a lathe, had one lesson,
and I'm playing. I've successfully made a couple of very small vases, 1-2"
tall.

Now I'm trying to work with a tagua nut following the instructions in the
article in the FWW compilation, Lathes and Turning Techniques, and which was
originally published in the July 1990 FWW. The article suggests sanding
down flat one end of the nut and gluing it to a 1" dowel with Super Glue.
I've tried this with old glue, new glue, waiting an hour, or clamping it
overnight. In all cases, the glue joint has failed as I begin trying to
rough the nut into round, no matter how gently I try to work with the gouge.

All further suggestions are welcome.

Thanks.

George