Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Stealth Pilot

Default Casting Aluminum

On Fri, 19 May 2006 19:45:27 -0600, Trevor Jones
wrote:

Stealth Pilot wrote:

if you want a nice strong alloy stir the aluminium with a piece of
copper pipe. the copper pipe will dissolve into the aluminium with
astonishing speed. aircraft alloy is copper aluminuim alloy.

Stealth pilot

Sorry Stealth Pilot, I can't walk away from this one.

Aircraft Alloy.

This is erroneously perpetuating the biggest pile of hokey crap that
ever got passed off on the buying public, the myth that there is some
mysterious supernatural properties to something used to build aircraft.
In this day and age, the only thing really mysterious is "where the hell
did those certifications sheets go that were with the metal when it came
in?" Other than certs, it's the same old crap that is available anywhere
you can buy aluminum sheet goods. Different alloy are used in different
parts for different needs.

I'm done ranting now. I promise I'll play nice. Mostly. If anybody is
looking.

FWIW it would be more correct to say that "Some of the alloys commonly
used for aircraft building use copper as an alloying agent" or some
such.

agreed
I suppose I should have taken more time to post but I didnt have it.

what I was trying to convey was that the aluminium can be increased in
strength if you stir in some copper.
alooominum has a melting point around 300 degrees and copper around
1500 degrees so it seems difficult to conceive of a method of getting
the two mixing.
just stir molten aluminium with copper and you'll get a surprise at
how fast the copper vanishes/dissolves in. it turns out to be easy.
Stealth Pilot