Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default Need temporary solution to flooding problem.

Hey thanks guys. Wanted to let you know my parents ended up going with
almost exacty to what you described. They had a company install a
grated drain (probably 4 to 4 1/2 long, 5 or so inches wide. This is
connected to about a 5 inch plastic pipe that travels from the back
door along the back of the house then to the side, then down the hill
about half way down our front yard. It wasn't cheap but will hopefully
do the job as they removed all the pumps. It has not rained since then
so not sure as of yet, but I will say it looks better than anything
else they have tried. Still will come up with some sort of backup just
in case:Plastic tarp in front of the door held down with weights.

Why did the problem start: Not sure but next door guy told my mother a
few days ago he is having some problems too and belives the ditch that
runs along the property line in our backyards is full of trash. While I
know that is true, I am not sure if that is the problem as that ditch
is very shallow and has not been cleared since early to mid 80's.
I need to be home when a bad storm hits and I will see if that's true
or not. I have a small shed in the very back yard near that ditch and
although it's elevated, I have not noticed any waterlines in the past.

Thanks for all the help and sorry for the delay in repying,
Fletch