Posted to alt.home.repair
cheesiepoofs

Default Gas oven starts with BOOM!!!

"John Grabowski" wrote in message

"tomkanpa" wrote in message
oups.com...
We have an older Sears natural gas stove/oven. In the past few months,
when you light the oven, by turning the gas on (it has a pilot light),
it doesn't light right away. It might take up to 30 seconds and then it
comes on with a BOOM!! Sometimes it causes the door to fly open a
couple of inches.
What could be causing this??

Gas is building up until it comes in contact with the flame. Your burner
probably needs to be cleaned.

geeez, i turn the gas immediately off & wait if it
doesn't ignite within 5-10 seconds (tops) - but to
wait 30 seconds ???? accident waiting to happen -
the fact it blows open the oven door should be a
BIG clue !! unless you want the Darwin award, that
oven should not be used - period - until it's
properly repaired/cleaned.

Reminds me of an old Bugs Bunny episode - with
the gangster hiding in the old house on the hill,
and the cop at the door, with our hero Bugs hiding
the mobster in the oven - then telling the cop,
"would I throw a lighted match in the oven if he
was in there?"....then holds the oven door shut
while it blows up inside.