Posted to alt.home.repair
David Farber

Default Troubleshooting hot water problem.

"m Ransley" wrote in message
Is the recirculator pump new, on a timer, or thermostat. Have you
measured the tenants water temp, many complain, just to be sure they
are getting their rents worth. You only need 106-107 out of the shower
head to take a hot water shower at the furthest point. Im sure your gas
bill is high, your tennants don`t care, you pay for it. I would check
the temp yourself first after you cut it back to 117 or less. You need a
timer and thermostat on circulators or you are just running a heating
system. I hope all your pipes are insulated. If your faucets were
leaking I would worry. You need to be the one to determine what temp is
needed, not your tennnts, its your profit.

The recirculator pump was purchased and installed new when the heater was
installed. We had the old pump connected to a timer but it took way too long
for hot water to get up to temperature during the off hours. So the timer
was disabled and it was on continuously. Perhaps with the new installation
of equipment, that is not true anymore.

The pipes around the water heater are wrapped in foam. I don't remember
seeing any similar insulation on exposed piping in the building. i.e. shut
off valves in closets adjacent to the tub/shower.

It looks like I'll have to test each sink and shower for leaks and bring my
thermometer with me.

Thanks for your reply.
--
David Farber