Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Sony 48" Projection TV doesn't turn on anymore!

Just fine. How many times I have heard those words.

So many times I have fixed the power supply in a Sony only to see a
fugly pink picture that blinks 18 times before staying on (weak green).
So many times I fixed the high voltage in an RCA and found the
overstretched picture that was "just fine", open cap, and possibly the
PIN transistor.

If you got a 2001 Sony that REALLY has a good picture, get it fixed.
But scrutinize. Is the grass as green as it should be ? Does it still
have that razor sharp focus ? Think about it. If the answer is yes,
that is your answer. Even if it is $400. It may say just need a
flyback. OK, not cheap, and an aftermarket won't work (as of yet, I am
working on that).

Because the set has AKB, I would recommend that before switching it off
you select an unused video mode first so the cathodes don't get
stripped when you turn it back on. Wait 5 minutes before switching it
to what you plan to watch. Alternately you could turn the picture
control all the way down before turnoff.

You know how the picture is not so good for the first few seconds ?
Well that is when the cathodes are damaged, and once that happens, that
is what the picture will look like all the time one of these days.

My recommendations on a new TV ? OK, I got around 30 years experience,
my official recommendation is : ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. If you decide to
replace the TV, get a used one, preferably from a shop with a warranty.
Get the absolute oldest set you can that has adequate features for you.

JURB