Roy J

Default Drilling strainless steel

Sorta off topic to the OP's question but one demo I did quite
amazed me. I wanted to demo burning out a bit with too much
speed. Bought some standard 1/4" jobber bits from MSC, set the
Bridgport at 2000 (!!) rpm, plunged it hard into a 1" block of
303 stainless with no lube. Expected it to go in 1/8" and turn to
mush. To my surprise it went right though! Tried it again, made
it 3/4 way though before the expected mush. Compared the bit to a
new one, it was almost 1/2" shorter.

PAROADHOG wrote:

I need to do some remodeling in a commercial kitchen that involves drilling a
lot of holes in stainless steel. I never realized the stuff is so hard to drill
or so tough on drills. What drill speed should I be using and how much feed
pressure is best? TIA Clint