Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

Default Which uses more electricity, a 75 watt light bulb or a 150 with a dimmer so that it is as bright as the 75?

On 20 May 2006 04:45:45 -0700, "Lena" wrote:

Suppose you have a combo ceiling fan with four light bulbs in it. (The
lights are wired separately through a switch.) You start out with four
fresh bulbs. One eventually burns out. Do you replace the one, or all
four? If you replace one, another will burn out in a few days.
Replace that and another burns out. Drives you nuts. Replace all four
when the first burns out and you could be wasting good bulbs because of
one bad bulb. What do you do?

That's why I prefer a dimmer with higher wattage bulbs. It greatly
extends the bulb's life, and then I'm willing to replace all four at
once. Not the most frugal, but lessens the frequency of my chances of
falling off the ladder.

If I were worried about the ladder, I might do that, but I wouldn't
throw away the good bulbs. I'd put them in a used bulb box and use
them in lamps and anything more accessible than a ceiling fixture.

Me, I change the bulbs in one bedroom while standing on the mattress,
which can be very challenging. In the other, I stand on a rolling,
reclining, swivel desk chair. Well I used to, but the very heavy one
broke and the newer lighter one might not work.

Lena