Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,alt.home.automation,alt.home.repair
RBM

Default Singing light bulb on dimmer switch

From my experience, some lamp types whine more than others. Typically the
longer the filament stanchions are, the more vulnerable to whine the lamp
is. I've also had the best success preventing whine with Lutron dimmers

"David D." wrote in message
. ..
Most light bulbs hum loudly when dimmed via a dimmer switch. A few are
ok,
because they contain extra filament supports at critical positions.

My hanging (swag) kitchen tiffany-style light takes a G40-150w bulb. It
hums badly when dimmed.

(1) Is there a brand of G40-150 bulb that does not hum when dimmed?

(2) Alternatively, is there a small, in-line filter available, or a
filtered, table-top dimmer switch, that would create a smoother
short-duty-cycle output than the intermittent, alternating square-wave
created by a typical dimmer switch? Would that be safe for a household
lamp application? Would that eliminate the audible humming?

- David