Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
Jim Thompson

Default problem with triacs with neon transformer loads

On Sat, 20 May 2006 16:23:43 +0200, Zak wrote:

Winfield Hill wrote:

The problem with switching transformer primaries with triacs is
the high inrush current that can develop.

[snip]

There are several solutions, including zero-crossing switching,
or a two-stage switch with a series resistor in the first path,
or both.

It is 'maximum voltage switching' that should be used in this case,
isn't it? Switching on at zero crossing will start with a demagnetized
core handing the full voltage * time integral, where in operation it
would start out with the opposite magnetization.

Thomas

In the early '80's, when I did disco stuff, I controlled neon
transformers by feeding them _complete_ cycles only (using TRIAC's).

I found, from experiment, that partial cycles or an odd number of half
cycles would ultimately smoke the transformer.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |