Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT

Default Which uses more electricity, a 75 watt light bulb or a 150 witha dimmer so that it is as bright as the 75?

kevin wrote:

Hi mm, me again...

Most dimmers (esp the reasonably priced ones) just stick a resistance
in the line. So, they get hot (hence need a little ventilation, esp the
high power ones). This consumes a fair bit of electricity. The smaller
bulb w/ no dimmer is definitely more efficient. I think there are fancy
dimmers that are electronic and chop the phases or something, but these
still won't be 100% efficient.

I doubt you will find any resistive dimmers on the market.