Posted to rec.woodworking
George E. Cawthon

Default Downes & Reader lumber truck hits and kills cyclist

CW wrote:
Simple fact: If a bicyclist wants to enjoy a long, healthy life, it would be
wise for him to watch cars closely and to stay out of their way. Sure, the
law says that they don't have to but, to avoid becoming a grease spot, they
should. This thread has been amazingly free from the "we have the same
rights" bicycle advocates. In any case, they can bitch and moan as much as
they want, then die for their beliefs tomorrow.

Exactly right, that is why I quit riding. Most
bicyclist realize they are vulnerable and tend to
be much more careful than vehicle drivers who
think and know they are not vulnerable.

My comment was inspired by reading several posts
and said or implied that bicyclist have no rights.
And I bet they act that way. The worst
offenders seemed to me to be little car drivers
that would not move across the lane marker when
passing a bicycle and pickup truck drivers who
paid no attention to their West Coast mirrors and
apparently didn't care if the hit the cyclist.

I think a few well placed .45s would cure that
complex, but then a few well placed .45s would
cure a lot of bad attitudes.

"George E. Cawthon" wrote in message

Swingman wrote:

"Mcfly" wrote in message

I'm curious. As someone who obviously doesn't bike, when would you even
have the opportunity to see rudeness of motor vehicles to bicycles? As
a motor vehicle driver, I admit I've never seen anyone in a car being
rude to a bicyclist.

As a sporadic cyclist, I see it down here in Houston all the time ...

then

again, if drivers were thrown in jail for the complete disregard of the

road

rules that most cyclist seem to get away with, there would be no
auto/cyclist issues.

... when is the last time you saw someone on a bicycle obey a stop sign

on

a residential street?

Not directed specifically at you Swingman.
This subject is a good opportunity for every jerk
on either side of the bicycle question to express
anger, stupidity, and ignorance.

I don't know where everyone else lives, but in the
states I have lived in, bicycles enjoy the same
rights as motor vehicles. In many places traffic
laws recognize that a bicycle is different from a
car and do not require bicycles to come to
complete stops at every stop sign.

I quit riding a bicycle on major streets many
years ago when I finally decided that I need to
ride with a pistol that could be reached and used
fast. Instead of wearing a pistol, and probably
being in jail at this time, I decide to quit
riding. Some bicycle riders are a hazard and are
definite jerks. OTOH, the majority of vehicle
drivers are so poor in knowledge and action that I
am continuously amazed that every 5th car on the
road isn't completely wrecked from numerous crashes.