Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus23298

Default 12V Transformer questions...

On Fri, 19 May 2006 21:38:43 -0700, Bart D. Hull wrote:
Gentlemen,
Good thing I had a 1 amp fuse in the circuit so things didn't get too hot!

What is the "center tap" wire used for?

As someone else said, could be used for a half wave 6v rectifier.

I used the two similar colored
wires and got the 12v AC I wanted then used a single diode to get 12v DC
to run a fan motor. I don't imagine the left a extra wire to just put a
wire nut on. Should it be grounded?

Does not have to be.

How can I get some more speed out of the motor?

One diode effectively only gives you half the cycles at 12V, sort of
like 6 v equivalent as far as power is concerned.

Better rectifier setup?
Different transformer for more voltage?

A better rectifier could help, yes. You need a full wave
rectifier. They are very cheap in your volt/amp range. I bought twenty
20 amp ones for $2.50 plus minimal shipping, a while ago.

The transformer is a 3amp 12v bare unit. (Not a power brick.)

Thanks for your help.

Bart

Bart D. Hull

Tempe, Arizona

Check
http://www.inficad.com/~bdhull/engine.html
for my Subaru Engine Conversion
Check http://www.inficad.com/~bdhull/fuselage.html
for Tango II I'm building.

Remove -nospam to reply via email.

clare at snyder.on.ca wrote:
On Fri, 19 May 2006 23:35:45 -0400, Spehro Pefhany
wrote:

On Fri, 19 May 2006 20:12:04 -0700, the renowned "Bart D. Hull"
wrote:

I bought a 12v transformer from Radio Shack for my Powder Coater
project. It has two wires for the 120v input but three wires on the
output side of the transformer.

I show 6.3v on each of the "hot" wires on the output side. Do I just
twist the two wires together to get my 12V? Is this done to get more
AMPS out of a thinner wire winding?

I just know y'all have the answers I'm looking for.

Thanks

If it has three wires on the output side, one (typically the one that
is a different color) is a center-tap. You ignore that (put tape or a
wire nut on it) and use the other two for your 12V. If you connect any
of those three wires directly to any another the transformer will show
its extreme displeasure by getting very hot, smoking etc.

You most definitely do NOT want to let the "magic smoke" out!!!!!
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany