Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Is tinted primer + one coat of paint enough for repainting walls?

wrote:

Unfortunately, cheaper paint is not really an option for two reasons:
(1) Having read about the unreliable quality of cheaper paints, I'm
really hesitant to try a cheaper paint, especially because I'm a novice
at this; and (2) I live in Manhattan and I don't have a car, so I'm
stuck shopping at one of the paint stores near my house.

The paint I want to get (Benjamin Williams) runs $42/gallon, whereas
their primer is a little over half of that, hence, the temptation to
use a coat of primer and one coat, instead of two coats of paint.

$42??????? You must be some wealthy yuppie!

1) Benjamin Moore make a line of paint called Super-Hide. You won't
see the dealers pushing it because it's half the price but it's what
the contractors use. You can have it tinted any color you wish.

2) There is a Home Depot (Behr paints) in Manhattan. Use Google.
Personally I don't like Behr because it dries too quickly but
Consumers Reports gave it a top rating. I prefer Glidden from HD.

3) Go to Pearl Paint on Canal St. If you don't know Pearl Paint
they're a major art supplier but they also have lines of wall paint.
Cheaper than both BM and HD. I have their paint in my hall and it
looks the same as when I applied it twenty years ago.

4) If you've read about "unreliable quality of cheap paints" it was
probably an article (or NG posting) by a seeking-to-justify-existence
"real" paint dealer or employee or friend. You should take these
things with a grain of salt.

Oh, yeah, and if you're using a roller you obviously don't care about
the finish.