Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural
Snydley

Default painting a barn, THANKS

"Snydley" wrote in message
I had a pole barn built last summer on my property and as soon as it warms
up a little more here in western NY I 'm going to paint it. I like the

looks
of it's natural color and would like to coat it with some kind of clear
coating. What is the best thing to use? Is clear the best thing to do, or
should I paint it? I want protection from U.V. rays, and I also want it to
last as long as possible between paint jobs. Does paint last longer than
stain, or some kind of clear coat? My #1 concern is protection from the

Sun
and the weather, #2 is longevity of the finish. I'd prefer a clear finish,
but if painting it will protect it better and last longer then I'll paint
it.
What do you think is best?
Thanks

A couple of things. To the person that said most pole barns, (in Canada I
think he said), side their pole barns in metal, I had that option but
decided I liked the looks of the wood siding better. I think from all of the
replies I got I'm going to stain it with some king of a pigmented stain,
probably red.