Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom Watson

Default Downes & Reader lumber truck hits and kills cyclist

On Fri, 19 May 2006 16:56:08 -0500, "Swingman" wrote:

"B A R R Y" wrote in message

Unfortunately, it had to turn into a demonstration of traffic law
ignorance.

That was my point about the majority of adult bike riders you see around
here. They are subject to the rules of the road, but don't abide by them out
of ignorance ... theirs.

But then again, many of those very same ignoramuses do the same in their
autos ... so to say we have fostered a nation of scofflaws, bike or auto,
wouldn't be an inarguable stretch, unless you somehow haven't been on a
freeway lately.

We get swarms of cycalistas around here.

One of the local cops got tired of their unsafe conduct and set up a
speed trap by a local school that happens to be at the bottom of a
long hill.

On a Saturday morning, when there happened to be an event at this
school, he pulled over three separate groups of cycalistas and gave
them all tickets for speeding in a school zone, a not inconsiderable
fine here in Pennsyltucky. The school zone lights were flashing, so
it was all fair.

He made sure that the busts got into the local paper and the local
bicycle shops made sure that the clipping was on their walls.

The cop told me that he wrote out sixty some tickets that morning.

Regards,

Tom Watson

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/