Ian Stirling

Default Drilling strainless steel

PAROADHOG wrote:
I need to do some remodeling in a commercial kitchen that involves drilling a
lot of holes in stainless steel. I never realized the stuff is so hard to drill
or so tough on drills. What drill speed should I be using and how much feed
pressure is best? TIA Clint

Speed should be relatively slow. What size of drill? What thickness of metal?
Pressure should be high.
The worst thing you can do with stainless is to let the bit skid, without
cutting. This work-hardens the stainless, and makes it almost impossible to
cut.
A coolant, such as vegetable oil is a good idea.