Don Bruder

Default Leaves, leaves everywhere; how to fix my rake.

In article ,
Peter T. Keillor III wrote:

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 16:48:54 GMT, Don Bruder wrote:

In article ,
Gunner wrote:

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 18:56:04 -0500, Peter T. Keillor III
wrote:

My boys wanted a house with trees when we moved up here (Midland,
Michigan),

UP here? Chucle..Midland is Down There..flatlander!

Only if yer wunna dem yoopers, eh. heheheheh

(Born and raised a troll in Cheboygan, honorary Yooper 'cause gramps
helped build da bridge)

So Peter...
Where in Midland? I used to live on Swede Road, years ago. Is the Tridge
still standing, or did the floods finally take it out? I was living
there the year the floodwaters were high enough to *COMPLETELY COVER* it
- manhole covers and storm grates on Swede Road looked like tired
fountains on the end towards 10, and the water only stopped rising when
it was about 2-3 feet from our front door at 3803 Swede.

About two blocks off Swede on Woodview Pass. This house was here then
(around '86, wasn't it?), but didn't take water.

Yep, '85 or '86 - can't remember precisely which. Woodview... Hmmm...
Lemme think... Oh, yeah... out past Wheeler, not quite to where Swede
turns into Wackerly. You're toward the "other end" of Swede from me. The
"fountain grates" were closer to the Hot-n-Now on Patrick. The area
you're in wouldn't have taken any water worth mentioning. "My" end,
being closer to the river and all, got quite a drink, though. Sugnet was
more or less the boundary for *SERIOUS* water, but anything south of it
was pretty much a marina for the better part of two weeks. Made some
pretty decent money gutting out and re-drywalling houses along Kentwood
once the water finally receded.

I can just imagine
the sewage fountain most folks had in their basements. We don't even
have a sump pump.

Heh... Idunno about the basements, but the manhole covers were...
"interesting"!

The Tridge is fine, no damage apparently.

Too bad... the thing is/was an overpriced, over-rated eyesore. Ever
heard about the guy who stuck up the bank, then escaped across the
tridge on a motocross bike? heheheheheh Gotta give the guy credit for
having solid brass cojones strung up with steel cables anyway, since he
basically had to go right through the jail/courthouse/cop-shop parking
lot on his way to the tridge and his getaway.

One difference between here and the Houston area is the drainage. In
Lake Jackson, where I lived before, there were 50' to 100' wide
drainage ditches feeding several pumping stations with three 48" axial
flow lift pumps each. The system was designed to handle 24 hours of
1"/hour rain. 10" rains were relatively common (yearly, or close to
it). If it rained like that up here, it'd be on the national news.

Nope... I don't think it would make news at all. Midland would just
float downstream until it lodged up against Bay City's Middlegrounds
Island and plugged up the Saginaw river. THEN it might make some news as
the Saginaw slopped over and started washing all the garbage (including
the PCB sludge from Grey Iron and Nodular from the 70s - but that isn't
really there - if you believe the tales...) out of the old dump and
through downtown Bay City...

The local weather makes up for it by being grey for 6 mo. straight.

Aw, come on, Pete... Michigan weather ain't so bad. The key is getting
yourself *OUT* of the tri-cities area to someplace like Oscoda or maybe
Gaylord. Main idea is *GET AWAY* from the cities, most especially the
ones south of Houghton Lake that are overpacked with the walking dead
that haven't figured out they're corpses yet, and where everything gets
pounded and/or polluted into slop instead of staying nice and bright and
pretty.

--
Don Bruder - --- Preferred Email - SpamAssassinated.
Hate SPAM? See http://www.spamassassin.org for some seriously great info.