Posted to alt.home.repair
Phisherman

Default Extreme Moss!

On Fri, 19 May 2006 11:47:32 -0400, "Matt"
wrote:

Hello:
Sorry if this has been discussed already - I can't find it. Anyway..

I have a new house with 80% moss, 20% grass. What's the best way to get rid
of the moss? Raking or Fertilizer with Moss Control? Anything else?

Thanks,
Matt

Moss likes...

Moist conditions
Shade or part shade
Clay soil
Acidic soil

Sometimes moss is not so bad. Part of my backyard has moss growing
under pine trees. Grass won't grow well there. I'd rather have the
moss than bare ground. I could change that though, by removing the
(large) pine trees, liming the soil, adding compost, and seeding, but
I appreciate the cool shade from the pines during those 100-degree
summer days. If you use some kind of commercial moss control, plan on
using it on a regular basis unless you change the conditions.