Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural
Ann

Default painting a barn

On Fri, 19 May 2006 17:47:56 +0000, Snydley wrote:

I had a pole barn built last summer on my property and as soon as it
warms up a little more here in western NY I 'm going to paint it. I like
the looks of it's natural color and would like to coat it with some kind
of clear coating. What is the best thing to use? Is clear the best thing
to do, or should I paint it? I want protection from U.V. rays, and I
also want it to last as long as possible between paint jobs. Does paint
last longer than stain, or some kind of clear coat? My #1 concern is
protection from the Sun and the weather, #2 is longevity of the finish.
I'd prefer a clear finish, but if painting it will protect it better and
last longer then I'll paint it.
What do you think is best?
Thanks

If it's not redwood, cedar, or cypress, I'd say paint it. Even if it is
one of those woods, you'd have to keep after it (as marson posted). Do a
good quality primer coat, after spot painting any knots, etc that are
likely to bleed, using a stain blocker. It's also a good idea to pretreat
places most likely to rot (like the bottoms of vertical boards or where
pieces of horizontal siding abut) with a wood preservative. Another
consideration if you want a paint job to last is that the building have
good ventilation or an interior vapor barrier.