Posted to rec.woodworking
Guess who

Default What kind of router bit would make this edge?

On 19 May 2006 09:54:46 -0700, "jtpr" wrote:

I am reproducing this box...

http://tinyurl.com/hjr43

...or at least trying to (take note of both images, the top becomes
clearer). Anyway, I am using 1/2" stock all 'round. That being said,
and my complete inability to transpose spatial images, how would I
select a router bit to make an edge like the one around the top?

You have good replies already. Also note:

1. you don't have to use the full depth of a bit.

2. Look on the dark side [of the image you suggested] ...top left
corner.. for the shape of the bit.

Also look as if it was horizontal rather than vertical [and so might
have to hold the board vertically. If that is so, CLAMP IT securely
in a guide to slide along the fence, and take small amounts until you
are there. You can move the fence to do that. This is how I do
raised panels, cutting most off using the table saw, then a couple of
passes across the router ...clamped to a fence slide for each cut. By
a fence slide, I mean a smooth piece [1 1/2 square might do] that will
slide along the fence top. The piece to be cut is set and clamped
securely to that, then slide this assembly along, holding securely
against the fence.