Posted to rec.woodworking
Mark Ohlund

Default What kind of router bit would make this edge?

jtpr wrote:
I am reproducing this box...

http://tinyurl.com/hjr43

...or at least trying to (take note of both images, the top becomes
clearer). Anyway, I am using 1/2" stock all 'round. That being said,
and my complete inability to transpose spatial images, how would I
select a router bit to make an edge like the one around the top? The
top will be 1/2" as well.

I guess on a broader point, are router bits purchased and used
according to the thickness of the stock? I look at these in the store
and it seems to me they need to be used on 3/4" or thicker stock or the
bearing on the end will be above the edge of the wood.

Am I looking at these wrong? They are too expensive to just pick up a
few and experiment.

As always,
Thank you.

Can't tell exactly, but it looks like some type of ogee/cove bit, maybe
along the lines of one of these:
http://www.infinitytools.com/products.asp?dept=1034

A number of router bits are designed to produce multiple profiles as
determined by the height of the bit in the table and the stock
thickness. This is a way to reduce costs, etc. For example:
http://www.infinitytools.com/products.asp?dept=1032

Hope this helps.

~Mark.