Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
Goedjn

Default Knotty pine - too many knots!!

On 19 May 2006 07:10:12 -0700, "Bob S." wrote:

wrote:
Hello all;

We've just installed an entire wall of kitchen cabinets in knotty pine
(couldn't find any other type of pine, and hardwood prices are out of
this world).

When you look at it from the corner of your eye, it feels like the wall
is covered with a giant leopard skin. NOT the look we were after.

Is there a way to mask SOME of the knots before we varnish the whole
thing in natural or honey-pine finish?

Thanks.

LD

No. Your only alternative now is to paint them. If you do, BE SURE
you use a stain killer primer (like Kilz) first or the knots will bleed
through the paint.

Well, you COULD rout out the knots, and put in dutchman patches.
That would be less obtrusive than the knots. But I agree that
a coat of shellac and then paint is probably the best bet.
Although I'm not sure how knotty pine will stand up to the
humidity cycles in a kitchen. You may end up having to
patch the knots over the years as they pop out, anyway.