Posted to alt.home.repair
Art

Default Demolishing tile floor in bathroom

"No" wrote in message ...
Art wrote:
We have a poorly executed tile floor in our master bath. Tiles are
builder standard quality on a masonry mud base with a metal grid embedded
in the mud. Unfortunately the jacuzzi in the master bath is cantilevered
and the framing wasn't strong enuf when the jacuzzi was filled with water
causing the tiles to crack the length of the bath. We are going to
switch to a more forgiving flooring material like laminate (my parents
have Mannington laminate in a bathroom for several years now and no
problems with it getting wet from a shower whatsoever). My question is,
what would be the recommended procedure to destroy the bathroom floor
tile and mud.
Thanks in advance.

hammer, masons chisel and crow bar will do it. If your floor is like the
last one I ripped up the tops of the joists will not be even, flat or
level. You need even and flat, level is a bonus if you can do it. Then
attach your plywood subfloor (Hey, while you are there fix the support
issue!) Then your new floor. Use vinyl flooring - Go to a flooring
showroom - you will be surprised at how nice some of these look these
days!

I was thinking of bolting some steel in to improve the support and to
install the new flooring while the jacuzzi was filled with water but I still
wouldn't trust a bathroom with a cantilevered jacuzzi with a ceramic tile
floor. The cracked tile was kind of interesting. The glaze does not have a
visible gap in the crack. But there is a subtle line (crack) the length of
the bathroom floor.