Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM

Default Main Breaker Tripping - But Only Half

Most double pole breakers have a handle tie that forces them to trip both
legs, but if it's been removed, only one leg will trip. You could have a bad
connection at the meter, but most likely an overload on that leg in the
home. You need to get an ammeter to check the current draw of each leg at
the main breaker

"Robert Stinnett" wrote in message
oups.com...
Situation: Have a mobile home I use only in the summer. It is fed
from the pole to a main 60AMP breaker than then feeds panels inside the
mobile home.

This spring, half of the main breaker was tripping. Replaced main
breaker (60A) with a 50A breaker by mistake. No big deal, or so I
thought.

Main is still tripping -- but only HALF is tripping! I thought these
things had internal mechanisms to make sure they always threw both legs
and not just one.

Trying to get an electrician, but quickly finding out that around these
parts if it isn't a "large" job then nobody is interested. I've called
6 places and not one call back.

Electric company is no help. Keep telling them I SWEAR I smell the
meter "burning" when this trip helps. It smells like the meter itself
has burning insulation or plastic inside it.

Any ideas on what to check next? Could something be wrong at the
meter?

Robert