Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
Jim Thompson

Default problem with triacs with neon transformer loads

On 19 May 2006 04:18:15 -0700, wrote:

Hi,
I am designed a commercial neon lamp two channel flasher and connected
to my hotels name board. The circuit is having two parts, one is
flashing circuit and the other is the output stage, wher the phase line
is switched. In the out put stage i have used BTA 41 triacs for
switching the neon transformer, ie the phase to the transformer is
connected through the triac. The gate signal is controlled through one
MOC3083 opto triac. the output from the flashing circuit is connected
to the opto triac's(MOC3083) input (LED).
I have installed the flasher in my hotel's neon name board. there is
two transformers connected to one flasher channel. it was working for
the last 4 months. last week one channel was not flashing. only one
channel is flashing the other channel is in ON state, ie not blinking.
The next when i checked the flasher in my lab both of the channels was
flashing. again i connected the flasher to the same neon board. After
two weeks agin the same problem occured, ie one channel was not
flashing. Can anbody know the reason for that. Is that problem with
Opto triac(MOC3083) or BTA 41. Is there any possibility of humidity or
temparature cause the problem

Thanks in advance

Raseel.M

It always works when returned to the lab?

At the installed location try removing all power for a few minutes,
then turn it back on and see if flashing resumes.

You probably have some kind of "hang" mode in your flasher circuitry.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |