Posted to rec.woodworking
CW

Default Downes & Reader lumber truck hits and kills cyclist

They actually stay to the side where you're at? Around here, many of them
have taken the attitude that they are equal to a car. The ride right IN
traffic and expect you to slowly fallow them. Of course, when it comes to
traffic jams or intersections, they are no longer equal to a car and no
longer fallow the law.

"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message
On Thu, 18 May 2006 22:19:01 GMT, "Wilson" wrote:

I'm sorry for them too.
Please rethink urban cycling, suburban cycling too, for that matter.

Good advice. Folks who like scooters, four-wheelers, or other
recreational vehicles don't get to use the public roadways.

I like cycling, but the reality is that there are too many dumb,
thoughtless, and plain mean drivers for it to be generally practical

these
days.

Certainly there are rude drivers, but most of the rudeness and arrogance
I've seen has been on the other side. Even when they are given a wide,
dedicated bicycle lane, these lugnuts insist on riding in the bike lane
right *on* the white line next to traffic, forcing traffic to move to the
left, often violating lane markers to allow the cyclists their state-given
5 feet of clearance.

I don't even ride my motorcycle any more because of the idiot driver
problem.
Our kids are not allowed on the road without an adult along either, and
that's only in the local, fairly sheltered environment.
Is it worth exposing yourself to tragedy to prove you are entitled to use
the roads?
The rude cyclists who intentionally interfere with traffic aren't helping
the situation either!

I live on a road that is two-lane with approximately a 12 to 18 inch
blacktop shoulder. This particular road has several corners and curves
around hills. Speed limit on the road is 45 and should be that speed for
the area in which we live. It is a low-density population area with
approximately 4 miles of travel to reach the nearest highway, any slower
would be a travesty and inconvenience to those who live in this area and
use that road to travel to work and engage in commerce. We have a
significant number of cyclists who use the road for recreational purposes
and are dead-set that they are going to enforce their right to make sure
that cars give them the legal 5 feet of clearance out of the roadway by
riding on the white line or to the lane side of the white line. Forcing
traffic to swerve around them to give them the clearance requires the
passing car to use the oncoming lane. Someday one of these cyclists is
going to be on the blind side of one of those hills and a car is going to
have to decide between a head-on collision or hitting the cyclist. While
the cyclist may be in the right as far as the clearance to be allowed,
being right doesn't make up for somebody being dead.

Wilson
"henry" wrote in message
oups.com...
As a Cyclist and customer my thoughts and prayers to the both the
cyclist and drivers families.

-----+

-----+