Posted to uk.d-i-y
chris French

Default Mismatched floorboard thicknesses

In message , Phil L
writes
Lobster wrote:
Went to my Wickes the other day for a pack of 5" T&G floorboards to do
some patchwork repairs to the floor following some plumbing escapades:
however it emerges that the new ones are 17-18 mm thick compared to
20-21 mm for the old ones. I'm presuming both are nominally 0.75"?

Should I be able to get thicker boards, or are these new ones now the
'norm'? It's a right PITA: the thickness difference is definitely
enough to be noticeable on the floor, and also the T's and G's don't
match up either.

If I do have to use these, I'm trying to think what I could use as
packing? It's too small a gap for any form of plywood or hardboard.

David

You can get plastic packers which are used by double glazing fitters, they
range from 1mm to about 3mm and are approx 4 inch by 1 inch.

Or thin MDF, you can get 2mm MDF
--
Chris French