Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jeff Wisnia

Default OFF-TOPIC How can I get into my stronbox? (Lost Keys)

jim rozen wrote:

In article , Jeff Wisnia
says...

So Leesa, if I misjudged your naivety as unscrupulousness, please accept
an apology from a guy who's been the attempted victim of more screws
than can be seen in three days at an erotic film festival.

Jeff

Do they still have those? I thought with the advent of the
internet, all those film festivals were sort of quaintly
archaic.

:^)

Maybe the film festivals aren't as prevalent as they used to be, but the
attempted screws sure are. Between my last post to this thread and this
one a three page fax containing a "dunning letter" came in from some
outfit called "The Official Yellow Pages" in Auburn, Maine. It was
addressed to our lead office assistant who's been with us for 26 years.

It claimed that in October 2005 "she personally" ordered a 2 year
listing in a yet to be published directory for a business name we
stopped using five years ago. They were looking for $299.95 plus $34.95
in late charges.

It went on to say they had a "legally binding audio recording" of her
agreeing to the purchase. There's no way she would have done that as she
knows very well that we never use Yellow Page advertising, and she only
places orders for stuff if asked to do so by "da boss".

I called 'em up and got a real snotty woman who tried to high pressure
me into paying the bill. I asked to hear the "audio recording" and she
played me a few seconds of a muffled voice saying, Yeah, uh-huh, uh-huh,
okay", which sounded nothing like our employee's voice.

When the scammer saw I wasn't budging she started talking "settlement".
I told her I'd settle just as soon as I saw a squadron of at least six
pigs fly by overhead.

Shoosh! I've half a mind to mail that fax to the AGs office in Maine
with a complaint letter.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia