Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Robert Swinney

Default Interview for a machine shop position

Yeah! Because a sweatshop by any other name is still . . . . a sweatshop.

Bob Swinney
"Randy Replogle" wrote in message
I just got back from an interview for a die making position (Which
really didn't seem like a die making position after I seen what they
did...more on that later) The shop manager looked at my resume and
said I had the basic knowledge of the machine shop trade. He said he
wants to hire an apprentice. He also said he wants someone to fit the
young profile that he is looking for. I thought to myself..."this guy
only wants cheap labor." All of this kinda ticked me off a little
because I've been a toolmaker for the past 6 years. During this time,
about 80% of my work has involved designing and making my own jigs,
fixtures and gages with no supervision whatsoever. And the tooling I
make usually needs to be highly precise. It's not a machinist type
position that I'm doing by no means.

Anyways...back to the "die making" position, I took a tour of their
shop. All that they had was a lathe, vertical mill, 2 surface
grinders, and 2 drill presses. It looked more like a maintenance shop
than a die shop. The shop is support for a manufacturing floor that has
a bunch of punch presses. I asked the die maker in the shop what kind
of work he did. He told me that he mainly repaired dies by sharpening
them. He seemed a bit upset because the company doesn't want to
purchase the equipment for die making. They have all of their dies
made from other machine shops. Is this really die making? I
mean...the shop manager was saying things about my toolmaking
experience as being useless. However, if I went to work for his
company, I seriously don't know if I'd ever actually do some precise
work or design any tools.

Alot of this message is me just venting (maybe you guys had a similar
situation that you want to share).

Whatever job you end up taking, get *all* points of interest in writing.

Randy