Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex B

Default OT - How to Scare Off Coyotes?

Laurie Forbes wrote:
"ED" wrote in message
On Tue, 16 May 2006 18:59:17 GMT, "Laurie Forbes"
wrote:

Laurie, I ranch in western MT and my wife keeps a flock
of sheep and goats. Predator control is my end of the deal,
I have decades of experience.....

You can find different urine's at trapping supply companys.
I doubt it will be effective. If it were I'd be using it instead
of hunting/trapping, feeding guard animals ect.

I also live in wolf country, but I don't deal with endangered,
protected species, that's a felony..SSS

For our operation we employ a layered system, electric fencing---very
effective and equally expensive.

I also use night pens and guard animals. In combination
we have nearly zero predator losses. Montana weather
has killed more of our stock than coyotes, but bigger flocks
that utilize larger area have bigger problems and coyotes
are the #1 problem to them.

ED

Thank you for the suggestions Ed. I guess I won't bother with the urine
route (I have no idea where exactly you could find it around here anyhow)
but, I have been told that male human urine can be effective (the
testosterone content apparently) so that may be worth a try (my neighbour
has two grown boys so they should have a good supply . I doubt he would
go for the electric fence around his house (he also has young kids) although
I'm sure it would otherwise be successful. Anyhow, the coyotes in question
may have moved on or suffered some other more ominous fate as we have not
heard or seen them for several days now..........

I'm thinking electric fence, and dispensing of male urine, may not work
well together