Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Advice on painting polka dots?

wrote:

Whatever you do, practice on some old paper first. For sharp edges on
stencils, I find spraying works well (any cheap black spray paint
should be fine). Not sure about the template, try thick card?

Paint gets onto the edges of the stencil and needs to be wiped off
between each application. Its going to be difficult to get off with
card. Card will quickly deteriorate and disintegrate if the paint
includes any water.

I think I'd use flat sheet plastic, eg the side off a storage box etc.
Draw the cirle then cut it out 4mm under sized. Trim and tidy with a
scalpel until perfect.

For the cleanest edge, spray paint. Advisable to make sure you've got
some spare red emulsion. Might be worth tapering the template hole to
prevent paint creeping.

Never seen black emulsion, blackboard paint is the usual thing. Some
types of paint can hold more pigment than others.

NT