jim rozen

Default Using Brass Round to Lap Chuck Jaws

In article 8hTwb.232368$ao4.831956@attbi_s51, Bob Swinney says...

Yeah, but how long would it take to clean the grinding dust out of the chuck
and any that may have fallen on the lathe's ways?

Here I'm figuring that you are commenting specifically about
using a toolpost grinder to to the jaws - but of course,
using grinding compound to lap them in has a similar downside.
Crunchy goop all over the sliding parts.

I guess I've never seen that holy grail of worn chucks, the
kind with all the wear concentrated at the tips of the
jaws. All the ones I've ever come across look like they've
been run over by a train, the scrolls are half gone, and the
jaws flop around in the body like loose teeth.

Jim

please reply to: