Posted to alt.electronics
Geoff

Default N-channel or P-channel Mosfets

HappyHobit wrote:
Hi All,

I'm building a motor controller for an electric bike. The circuit I
found uses a microcontroller, a 4N35 Opto-isolator and N-channel
Mosfets. I like micros and want to do voltage and current monitoring.

The problem is microcontroller has to turn the 4N35 ON to turn the
Mosfets OFF. I don't like that. If the 4N35 or the 5 volt supply
fails the
Mosfets turn on FULL.

I was thinking of using P-channel Mosfets. (And of course appropriate
circuit and logic changes)

Is there any prevailing reason to use N-channel rather than P-channel
Mosfets?

Thanks for any enlightenment you can provide.

I wouldn't worry about it too much - equally your wheel might fall off.. If
you are preoccupied thinking aboyut things like this you will probably get
hit by a bus.

geoff