Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols

Default shop layout "planning" software, freeware?

According to Gunner :
On 17 May 2006 02:48:10 GMT, (DoN. Nichols)
wrote:

According to Gunner :

[ ... ]

All cartridges are reloadable. Some are just easier than others to do

Hmm ... are there any non-Berdan primed cartridges for the SKS
(7.62x39)? If not, are there any reliable ways to deprime and re-prime
those? I could imagine making a forked deprimer, but it would be a pain
to use.

Sure. Winchester, Remington and all the US makers use Boxer primed
brass. Ive got a bunch.

Good news. I far prefer the Boxer primers.

To decap berdan, check if its been ring sealed..a pressed ring of
brass around the primer..if its there..set it aside.

Does this mean that there is no hope if it has been ring sealed,
or can you process it to make that reloadable, too? (At a guess, put it
in a collet in the lathe, and turn off the crimped ring. Or would that
leave the primer pocket too shallow?

If not..simply
put the case, primer down over a hole in a piece of steel plate and
fill with water. Make a punch thats a snug fit in the case neck.
Insert punch until it sits on the water, then hit it with a hammer.

SPLOSH! out pops the primer and all the water. Only time I suggest
reloading in the heat of the summer and wearing little or nothing G

As I said -- it sounds messy. At least, water is easier to get
rid of than oil. :-)

And the cartridge is not expanded too much without a chamber
supporting it? Or do I first run it into a full-length sizing die, and
while it is there, blow out the primer?

Berdan primers are easy enough to order. For the SKS and Ak etc..get
miltary "hard" primers if you can. Some of em have sticky firing pins
that may tap the primer on going into battery and with a very
sensiticve US primer..has been known to discharge..occasionally before
lockup. Rare though in a weapon in good condition. To determine
this...let the bolt slam forwards on a live round pointed down range,
extract and examine the primer..if its got a mark on it...best be
careful in the future.

O.K. Mine seems to be in pretty good shape -- actually *very*
good shape -- but I'll perform that check next time I get to the range
with it.

Mine is one of the Russian ones, and is unusual in that it came
with a blued bayonet, instead of the usual shiny one. For night
operations of some sort, perhaps?

But frankly..reloading x39 cares is not easy if they are Berdan
primed..as they are most often steel cases with a coating on them..and
its tough on a sizing die.

O.K. I'll check that, too. Magnet here I come.

http://cgi.ebay.com/7-62-x-39-mm-Brass-Unprimed-Cases-50-Pc-NEW-Winchester_W0QQitemZ7242180085QQcategoryZ31824QQss PageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Interesting. I would have thought that eBay would be a lost
cause for anything firearms related. Thanks.

Lot of boxer primed x39 brass out there. These folks above are not the
cheapest, but are not bad.

Of course -- then I would have to worry about catching the
empties, before the NRA range swept them up into their great bin of
brass. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

G..all but one of my SKS's will pile them in a circle about 4' in
diameter and to my 5' 0'clock. And that one Ive never tweaked the
extractor hook.

Hmm ... At the NRA range, they bounce of the Lexan separator
between shooting stations, so the scatter factor is a bit different
there. Some go in front of the firing line, some behind me, and some
under the shooting table. (None in a pocket --yet. :-)

Now the FN-49...that puts em all across the fruited plain...even when
the gas port is adjusted to just barely pull em out of the chamber.

:-)

Btw..you can shoot 120 gr M1 Carbine cast or jacketed bullets out of
them must fine (SKS). Cast tends to not cycle the action unless you
use Blue Dot and even then its iffy and tends to fill the gas port up
with mang pretty quickly but still shoots just fine long after than.
Just turns it into a single shot until you clean out the port/piston
and go back to jacketed.

Well ... I tend to favor jacketed anyway, so that is not a
problem to me. Any choices as to the best powder to minimize fouling of
the gas port? The surplus military ammo seems to be pretty good about
that. But if I get a set of dies to fit, I'll probably need to select
for non-fouling among other factors.

I shoot the FN-49 (8mm) with a 220 gr cast Lovern style with rather
surprising accuracy, even though the borel looks like a back country
road in a poor county (Egyption..corrosive ammo..when I got the
gun..it had been stored for 15 yrs in a shed, after the previous owner
had fired off a 1000 rds of the worstest nastiest 8mm Id ever
fired..when it fired. I had to ram a steel rod down the barrel with a
hammer before I could see daylight).

How old was that ammo? Are they any better these days? When I
first started shooting rifle ammo, I was using some from Israel for the
8mm Mauser. This was back around 1963 or so, IIRC. Good boxer primer
pocket, good brass. Never a problem with it.

Someday Id like to find someone
to do a 308 rebarrel. I understand its supposed to be fairly easy..but
Ive never seen it done.
In the mean time..Ill just have to use the M1A

The FN-49 and the M1A are about the only two full sized self loading
battle rifles that are legal in California. Damit. Then there is
the Ljunman..but I value my thumb way too much.

Ouch! I don't know that one. I presume that it makes M1-thumb
dwindle to insignificance?

Anyone got a rear sight for a Argentine Calvalry Carbine?

What action was this?

Another
Round TuIt project. Probably put a peep on it before taking it out and
having that hard kicking tiny little ******* abuse me.

Thanks,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
(too) near Washington D.C. |