Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Stumbles

Default shower leak dammit

On Wed, 17 May 2006 03:16:13 -0700, andyv wrote:

My shower tray leaks at one corner where the metal framed glass panel
joins the wall. The leak reappears on the kitchen ceiling, but not the
bathroom floor.

No amount of sealing seems to work. I suspect the metal frame work
fills with water and slowly drains down after a shower.

Yes, what I think you may have is this:

/|
/| ------------\
/|| -----------------
/|| |
/|| |
wall /|| | frame
/|| |
/|| |
/| channel

The frame fits snugly, but not watertightly, into the channel which is
fixed to the wall. Water gets into the channel from the channel/frame
joint inside the shower. If you've sealed the bottom of the channel to the
tray on the inside then it builds up inside the channel and runs out
through the channel/frame joint on the outside. It may help to make a gap
for the water to run out of the channel where it meets the tray inside the
enclosure.