Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Stumbles

Default Solar water heating and combi boilers

On Wed, 17 May 2006 12:31:05 +0100, David Hansen wrote:

On Wed, 17 May 2006 08:59:20 GMT someone who may be John Stumbles
wrote this:-

If a boiler does _not_ have electric ignition but has a constant pilot
light then it is a dinosaur with seasonal efficiency in the region of 65%.
The controls are likely to be primitive, too. It will make far more sense
to replace it with a high-efficiency boiler with updated controls than put
in solar water heating.

Who said anything about this being an either/or question?

I did, above. I said that it would make more sense to replace an
inefficient boiler with a high-efficiency one than install solar water
heating and keep the dinosaur. Do you agree?

Of course if resources permit one can go for both. I don't think I was
implying that one couldn't.