Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark

Default swamp cooler pan is leaking

Scott Bryce wrote:

Is there a way to fix a small leak in a swamp cooler pan? The swamp
cooler over 14 years old. The pan is rusting and there is a hole about
the size that a 16d nail might cause. I'm hoping to be able to patch the
hole and not have to replace the swamp cooler quite yet.

Thanks, everybody. I did a temporary patch with epoxy putty. It looks
like it will hold for a while. I already have another small leak. I'll
see if I can nurse this swamp cooler through the summer, then find a way
to coat the pan and see if I can get another couple of years out of it.

two things...

1)a feedwater bleed takes a small percentage of the circulating water
and dumps it out (onto your lawn if you wish) limiting the buildup of
minerals in the swamp cooler

2) sacrificial anode

these two things can extend the life of a swamp cooler..

Mark