Posted to sci.electronics.repair
ampdoc

Default Update on PTK195 and a request on pioneer SD-P55A3-K

"Jason D." wrote in message
On Tue, 16 May 2006 17:21:35 -0400, "Leonard Caillouet"
wrote:

Put a video camera on it and look for an arc as it shuts down. Had one
with
an arcing CRT last year that made me nuts.

Also, did you resolder the several hundred ring cracks on the board that
you
got from Pioneer? Most boards from them need it even though they are
"rebuilt."

Leonard

Yes, 1001 shiny solder joints on that deflection board. COMPLETELY!

Didn't stop the shut down after 10-15 minutes. There is no "click" or
"snap" that goes with it. I can turn it back on right now without
having to unplug to reset x-ray protection when shut down occurs.

Cheers, Wizard

Re the SD-P55A3

Are you turning it back on with the large power button or the remote? The
big power button on the front disconnects the mains, using it is just like
unplugging the set.

There are shutdown LED's inside this set to monitor the powerdown circuit.
When the set shuts down, look on the deflection board for a lit LED near the
relays. This is the main powerdown monitor, and if it is lit the set is
going into shutdown. If you can confirm it is actually going into shutdown
then we can look for what circuit is tripping it

There are some other LED's for the PD circuit that will light very
briefly when the set trips shutdown. You will need to be looking at them
with the light off in the room so you can see. If any of the LED's light
even a little bit you can narrow your search down. These sets had LOTS of
problems with the amp assembly and digital convergence DAC board. They had a
fault that would cause excessive inrush current on the +/-25V lines and make
the set shutdown.

On the amp assembly find the shutdown LED and watch it very close. I'll
almost bet the problem is there. Another thing that may help is having an
assistant power the set on, and look at the fuses for the + and -25v lines
that run the convergence IC's these fuses are on the deflection board behind
a small transformer. Easiest way to see them is to slide the board rack back
and tilt it towards you. Many times I've seen a problem on the amp assembly
draw enough inrush current to heat the fuse red without blowing. Stress over
time eventually causes fuse failure, and be sure to check the fuses and make
sure they are the correct size, I have seen techs put a larger rated/slow
blow type fuses in these sets and think they fixed it, which is not proper
at all, but it happens.

Jammy