Jon Elson

Default Using Brass Round to Lap Chuck Jaws

jim rozen wrote:
In article , Jon Elson says...

Problem one. How do you ge the bar accurately center drilled if your
chuck is shot?

3) Center both ends in the dead centers and turn a section ...

He was turning a diameter in situ. This would
give an accurate diameter, concentric with the spindle
axis, to lap against. I thought this was one of the
nicer features of this approach.

Too bad I tossed out all my clapped out three-jaws,
I would have tried this.

It sounds like it would take many hours, With a decent grinder
already adapted to the toolpost, it only takes 15 minutes or so
to true badly worn jaws, and maybe 5 minutes to do some with light
wear.

Jon