Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Eager

Default FYI: FREECYCLE

On Wed, 17 May 2006 11:28:33 UTC, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

We recently had to get rid of a couple of thousands of books - hard backs,
paper backs, all sorts. We cleared the shelves a few years ago, the family
had first pick of them. Then friends. Then we stored them, trying all sorts
of outlets including an overseas charity which pleaded in its advertising
that it wanted *any* book for schools which had none.

They came and took none, all ours were over ten years old. The fact that
there were many children's and adult classics, fiction and non fiction, in
good condition, didn't matter, they were 'out of date'.

Had the same trouble with a local charity shop who said they'd take any
books. Humped in eight large boxes and was told to take them away again.

Luckily the Cancer Relief shop took them all..!

Then there are all the magazines ... not Woman's Own or Hello before anyone
suggests it. When I was a child I loved reading my godfather's bound
collections of C19th Punch. I now have decades of Punch mags from the 1950s
on but no-one seems to want them. It's such a shame.

They are more difficult. However, I'm doing my bit...! I've just been
offered (and accepted) a practically continuous run of Analog magazine,
starting in the 1940s...