Ole-Hjalmar Kristensen

Default Pipe joint compound

Even more fun is to try to get such a (rusted) joint apart...

"JW" == Jeff Wisnia writes:

JW Brian Lawson wrote:

JW snipped

a 3/8" piece, long enough to do the circumference a
couple of times, would be rammed into the joint first, like a gland
packing, and then lead poured in to seal it. It also kept the lead
from leaking into the pipe.

JW Yeah, it used to be real fun making those poured lead joints on horizontal
JW CI pipes. We used something a bit like a piece of a V-belt to temporarily
JW block around the opening of the joint. It had a clamp holding it together
JW at the top leaving an opening into which you poured the lead. I never saw
JW one seal perfectly, we were always hopping around to avoid dribbles and
JW splashing molten lead.

JW When the lead cooled we used offset "caulking irons" to whack the lead
JW down into the joint to insure a good seal.

JW The guys who've never used anything except PVC pipes with glued joints
JW sure don't know what they missed.

JW Jeff
JW --

JW Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

JW "If you can smile when things are going wrong, you've thought of someone
JW to blame it on."

That's my recollection anyway.

Take care.

Brian Lawson,