Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m

Default FYI: FREECYCLE

On Wed, 17 May 2006 10:16:25 +0100, "PhilC"
wrote:

No matter then .. going to any 'good cause' is better than landfill?

All the best ..

T i m

Not necessarily, I live in affluent Surrey and have worked for a charity
shop and would not now donate to this or a local hospice charity but for
differing reasons.

Ok ..

The charity I worked for was populated by one or two actually charitable
people but the majority were there to grab as many of the donations as
possible for there own use.

Ok, so a obsure form of Freecycling ;-)

I then took items to a local hospice charity - their central warehouse -

In WGC by any chance Phil (I wouldn't have thought so .. a bit far
from Surrey)

only to find a volunteer emptying bags of paperbacks into a huge wheeled bin
but not for recycling but for landfill. When I questioned him about this he
said it was not worth sorting through the hundreds of paperbacks they
received each week! It seems the same fate awaited hundreds of hardback
books also.

Hmm, that's not right .. the place I use take clothes and if they
aren't considered good enough to pass on *as* clothes they get money
for tham as 'fabric' .. I would have though the same would go for
books .. paper?

If you cannot make use of certain items either refuse them or at least
recycle them

Indeed ..

I'm currently conneted to my router via a 802.11g WiFi USB 'dongle'
that I fished out of the black bag that I was asked to throw in the
skip yesterday. And the GCSE French books and other very useable bits
are going to the (good) charity shop ;-)

All the best ..

T i m