Larry Jaques

Default I guess I'm part of the problem

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 01:11:20 -0500, Gary Coffman
brought forth from the murky depths:

--snip of gay repartè with gunner--
Blink blink..you lost me somewhere along the way.....

Ok, look, John Chinaman wants dinner. He has two choices. He can
buy his dinner at the Peking Duck in Bejing for $2. Or he can order it
from the Gay Peacock in San Francisco for $100 plus $12.95 air freight.
Meanwhile Boy George machinist in San Francisco can buy his dinner
from the Gay Peacock for $100, or buy it from the Peking Duck for $2
plus $12.95 air freight.

John Chinaman looks at the $100 dinner from the Gay Peacock and
says "That crazy!". He's not going to spend that kind of money for
dinner. He's saving up to buy a modem for his computer so he can
download internet porn. Besides, Su Ling, a waitress at the Peking
Duck, is *hot*. So he makes the intelligent choice and buys his dinner
at the Peking Duck for $2.

Meanwhile, Boy George thinks, " I make way too much money, so
I can afford to blow $100 at the Gay Peacock instead of ordering
my meal from the Peking Duck and saving $85.05 (100-2-12.95).
Besides, Big Wang, the waiter at the Gay Peacock, is *hot*." So
he blows his wad at the Gay Peacock.

The dollars each of the machinists are spending are of equal value.
A US dollar is a US dollar is a US dollar, and we're expressing their
earnings in US dollars in both cases. Both machinists get a fancy
duck dinner for about a day's wages. But Boy George is an idiot,
because he could have had the same dinner for $14.95, about an
hour's wages, instead of foolishly blowing an entire day's wages
on the meal.

Well done! Now 'splain this to me. I prepared and cooked my own fine
dinner for a buck (+ 1¢ for 'lectricity) and found a Machinery's
Handbook, 14th Edition, on *b*y for $4.25 (+$3 s/h).

Does that make me a John, Su, Boy, or Big?

-
Don't be a possum on the Information Superhighway of life.
----
http://diversify.com Dynamic Database-Driven Websites