Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default FYI: FREECYCLE

mike wrote:
I appear to have a local group, but following your link it seems I have to
join Yahoo.

I don't want to do this - is freecycle a fully owned subsidiary of Yahoo,
and only accessible through their portals?

mike

FreeCycle has no connection with Yahoo, other than they choose to use
it as a convenient place to host the groups. Personally I think they
would be much better off with PhpBB. So yes, you will have to join
yahoo if you want to use freecycle.

Regarding inappropriate wanteds/grab everythings/sell it on ebay - many
groups do have this problem. If you suspect abuse, then email a
moderator.

I am very strict and never allow anything other than
Offered/Wanted/Taken/Received actually on the list - start allowing
discussion and it soon degenerates into rants - and swamps out the ads.

BUT we also have Norfolk FreeCycle Cafe - a yahoo discussion forum -
for people to discuss issues (and go OT etc). I also reply to every
email to me as a moderator personally - none are ignored.