Posted to alt.home.repair
JoeSpareBedroom

Default Do I need gutters?

"Donna" wrote in message
news:REoag.1543$nq5.1422@trndny06...

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"Donna" wrote in message
news:z2jag.3102$a23.3037@trndny01...
In light of the seemingly endless rain, here is a question I've been
wondering. Do we need gutters? We don't have them, nor do we have
problems with leaking in the house. I've heard differing opinions -
Gutters are good because they redirect water from the foundation, and
gutters are bad because they contribute to ice dams in the winter.
What is the general consensus?

Donna

Imagine a line going straight down to the ground from the edge of your
roof. What's on the ground where that straight line points to? Make a
list and tell us about it.

Front of house:

Planting beds, front door/porch
Sides of house: Grass
Back of house: Grass, brick patio

Except for the front bed, the rain doesn't disturb the grass. It does
make the mulch in the front bed look untidy, but that seems like a small
reason to invest in gutters, if there isn't a larger one.

Donna

If there's no splattered soil or mulch in the garden beds, then you're all
set. However, when I go into a commercial establishment during a downpour,
and get soaked because they didn't care enough about their customers to
install gutters by the entrance, it ****es me off in a big way. It's a
stupid thing to overlook.