Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bill Day

Default Florida "Rosewood"

On 11 May 2006 10:44:03 -0700, wrote:

I just recieved some 8 inch X 36 inch logs from the Orlando Area. They
are called rosewood. The heart is about 5 inches and very dark. The
sapwood is creamy. For those familiar with this species; is this wood
prone to move much after green turned? Please list the do's and dont's.

Thanks,

Dave in SW Michigan

Just saw this....

My guess is that you have some Indian Rosewood (Dalbergia Sissoo)
which has escaped into the waterways of Florida, and is often a pest
there. Crews often cut it and leave it by the roadside. I have turned
several pieces, and it is pretty easy to turn and control. No special
problems. It is not as 'pretty' as the more exotic Mexican & Central
American Rosewoods, but I rather like it.

I finish it with Walnut oil and buff it and it is a nice wood with the
sapwood left for contrast.