Anthony

Default Can I convert 115V to 220?

(Phil Barone) wrote in
om:

I'm buying a skin packaging machine and have never needed 220 before.
I'll probably be moving to a bigger space so it doesn't pay for me to
have it installed and all. Does anyone know if there's a transformer
that will accomplish this? I found one but it will only maintain 20
amps and I need something like 30. Any help will be greatly
appreciated. Phil

Phil,
You should have 220V available in your place.
The question is whether your breaker/fuse box has enough free slots to
install the needed circuit protection.
You will need 2 open.
You will need either 1) a 30A double breaker, or 2) a 30A double fuse
holder.
Instead of a regular plug, I suggest an industrial twist-lock plug.
I suggest using 10-3 w/ground wire to the plug as opposed to 10-2 w/ground.
Not sure if you will need 10-3, but most likely you will since there are
heating elements on the machine.
Use SO cord from the machine to the plug. This is a stranded wire, abrasion
resistant heavily insulated, heavy duty cord, again in 10 gauge for the
current carrying capacity required.

--
Anthony

better idiots.