Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Al A.

Default OT- ford truck A/C clutch question...

Well, when I got home from work today, there was a bit of smoke rising
from the clutch pulley. Guess that pretty much pins down the source of
the problem. The rain stopped long enough to grab a few tools, take off
the bolt in the center of the clutch. Lucky for me, once I got the bolt
out the front part of the clutch slid off with little more than some
working back and forth with finger power. I got the snap ring off, and
the pulley came off without much trouble. Yes, the bearing is SHOT!!
Inexplicably, about a third of the balls are missing(!). Not sure where
they went, or if they just ground to dust or what. Anyhow, my parts guy
is going to try to hunt down a new one for me in the morning.

Thanks for all of the advice.

-AL A.

PS - Appreciate the words of wisdom, Bruce. Even though I'm close to the
river, if it ever reaches my basement, pretty much all of the 4th
largest city in the state will be submerged. But I will not say:
"I been here 22 years and the waters never got high enough...."